Thursday, November 15, 2012

A blast from the stash

Something like 15 years ago I found an whole lot of organza ribbon in a wonderful pumpkin pie color, CHEAP, and bought it up. I stitched it up with some lace and black cotton with the intention of making a flounced petticoat but it never got finished and I have been dragging that too-pretty-to-throw-away-but-basically-useless pile of fabric around with me ever since.

I am now quite flushed with the glow of virtuous accomplishment because it is a useless pile no longer!

My bustle petticoat in progress...


I put on my bustle and had my honey measure the waist to floor length front and back (which is 13 inches longer, by the way), took off 21inches for the finished length of the flounce, added 4 inches for a 2" tuck to cover the seam, added seam allowance and cut I piece to the front length and one to the back. I sewed those pieces into a tube (with an opening at the left side for getting in and out) and here we're pinning in the darts and back shaping/gathering to fit.

Even with the tuck turned the wrong way (up!) I'm pretty happy!

Only 14 days to Teslacon 3...

2 comments:

  1. That is SO beautiful! And your persistence, hope and trust in the eventual worth of something you think is lovely...is a testament. To what? I'm not sure. But I'm impressed (and LOOK at THAT!). It is really lovely and perfect, I think for under your newest skirt.

    It was so inspiring, you had me looking at that event...as if I could GO! Just to see you in all your finery, in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think you *should* attend! It would be lovely!

    Thanks. It's nice to see persistence pay off, yes?

    ReplyDelete