Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Layer 4 thoughts - Partlet

As I was working on the drawn thread embroidery of my Camicia a few days ago I came upon this glorious outfit courtesy of the Elizabethean Costuming facebook page. As I gazed on in awe I realized that the oversleeves and partlet are most likely/almost certainly draw-thread work, formed in large part by the same pea hole stitch I am using on the camicia!

How, exactly, one would get drawn-thread to work in a series of graduated rings as depicted in the partlet is a mystery to me at this point (if it can even be done!) but the sleeves are simple bands. THAT I can do. Thus my IRCC3 partlett was conceived.




In order to figure out the pattern before attempting to size it up into a partlet I cropped-out a detail of the flattest part of one of the sleeves, blew it up and started counting. On closer examination I feel that while this portrait is not an accurate-to-the-stitch recording of the pattern it does convey the feeling and approximate pattern and proportions well. I read the bunches as being sets of 5 bars taking up the space of 2 1/2 pea hole stitches in width and two pattern heights in depth. Two and 1/2 pea hole stitches are comprised of 5 bars so I feel good that my counting out various sections of the portrait sleeves has worked to establish a plausible pattern. I guess the next step would be to work up a test swatch. :)

7 comments:

  1. How fun is that! I've been dreaming of my own pair of lace sleeves like the ones on this dress https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/2648_1107011628201_5985346_n.jpg http://www.historicalportraits.com/Gallery.asp?Page=Item&ItemID=1406&Desc=A-Lady-Holding-a-Book-|--Italian-School Spangles would be such a bonus. Looking forward to watching your partlet and living vicariously since I'm not playing this year. The drawnwork camicia is looking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just mention that every time I realize that you are not doing the IRCC this year I pout? I will really miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I finally had a chance to go look and those sleeves are WONDERFUL! I confess I hadn't noticed that they were a transparent layer over another. Now I like that outfit even more! (And that is saying something. :) ) I think you *need* those sleeves, Hastings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably do need them. Might be my project to start once next year's IRCC happens. I'm rather pouty about not playing as well. We just put a house under contract yesterday, however, so we are moving and moving soon (cross your fingers) and moving with 4 kids while trying to sew crazily just didn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a strong and wise woman and I applaud your self control! Best of luck on your move. I suppose it is too much to hope that you are coming to Indiana? I'm thinking you'd make a mighty fine neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're just moving about 20 minutes up the road, but I sure wish we were going closer to many of my friends. Having more sewing friends in my backyard would either be tons of fun or get me in trouble. Probably both :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. What! We would *never* do such a thing...accidentally! Isn't it rather horrible that moving a short distance is every bit as much trouble as moving a longer one? I send you energy and good wishes for a smooth and easy move.

    ReplyDelete