After a short stint of shopping on e-bay I found a great option for a metal frame for my first accessory item. I think this hairbrush will make a great feather fan!
Step one was to take it apart. The brush is held in the frame with three short nails so I just pried them up and pulled out the bits I found.
As you can see, there's quite a lot of stuff in there!
The original brush-head is wood and perfectly shaped to fit the frame so I will probably try to use it to hold my feathers. I think I can remove what remains of the original bristles pretty easily (they are in the disintegrating phase) and if I drill the original holes all th way through the board I should have lots of attachment points. Now I just have to keep resisting the urge to use it as a giant bubble wand!
My feathers are due to arrive today or tomorrow so I hope to make some progress on this layer this weekend.