Monday, January 14, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Project #1...sorta



The Challenge:

#1: Bi/Tri/Quadri/Quin/Sex/Septi/Octo/Nona/Centennial – due 14 Jan. Sew something from __13, whether it be 1913, 1613, or 13BC


Fabric: 3 men's 100% cotton handkerchiefs



Pattern: The c.1912 handkerchief camisole from Every Woman's Encyclopaedia as published online at: http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/articles/hancamisoles.html

Year: 1913

Notions: 6 3/4 yards Cluny lace beading with ribbon(not enough!), white cotton thread.

How historically accurate is it? Pretty dang accurate. I've been following the instructions but used larger men's hankies to adjust the scale of the finished camisole to my size. I'll be setting the straps further in from the side seams--also a size adjustment--and adding more rows of lace to square up the bodice but I am staying true to the shape, style and technique of the original directions.

Hours to complete: I haven't tracked my time , nor finished the project so...unknown

First worn: unknown

Total cost:

About $24 at this point, probably will finish closer to $40.


I need more ribbon to finish it up. Waiting for the local shops to stock something suitable... (Sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment