Saturday, March 19, 2011

Another site for extant tents

My mother has a bit of an adventurous streak in her, and in the late 80's she moved off to live in Turkey for about 10 years. Thus, when I told her about my interest in period pavillions she casually informed me that there is a collection of ancient tents and liners in the Turkish Millitary Museum in Istanbul, and then she gave me books!

(I can only find one of the books at the moment: Osmanli Cadir Sanati (XVII - XIX. yuzyli), Taciser Onuk, T.C. Kultur Bakanligi, 1998. In English: Ottoman Tent Art (XVII - XIX. centuries))

I, of course, devoured the books a gulp and rushed off to look up the Museum site, which I present to you here

Askeri Muse ve Kultur

Note: click on "Albumler" and then "Cadirlar" or, if you can find it, "Askerî Kıyafetler Salonu,' or "Üst Kat Salonlar" and then "Çadırlar Galerisi." I warn you, the links shown in the menu on the left of the page seem to change nearly every time I go to it. but keep trying. sometimes clicking on white space will make a whole new list of choices appear. (This works for me when the cursor, not the arrow is showing as the pointer.)

I managed to wend my way quite deeply into their photo galleries a few years ago, but then my computer crashed and I lost all the links so I am simply posting what I've got, for now.

I hope to get back to this on-line research project at some point, but for now I am making a pavillion! (Busy, busy.... :)

Note: see comments below for a bit more explanation of how I've found the pictures when the links aren't showing...

4 comments:

  1. Well, I clicked on EVERYTHING there was to click and never got to any tents....managed to click my way to an English language site on their army, though. Go figure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's the problem exactly! What I have found is that there *is* text/ links in that side bar, but they often don't show up.

    The trick I have found is to move my pointer around in the sidebar and watch for changes in it's appearence. When my curser changes from an arrow to that skinny insertion thingie I click and usually get shown a new menu that didn't appear before.

    I find several points on the Sidebar which will give me new menus with a little prodding... It would be so much easier if I could get the link to copy correctly, but every time I've gotten to the correct page & copied the url, the version I paste into a new location just brings me back to this same weird front page.

    Sorry, I'm really not trying to make it hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually just go to the sidebar and hit ctrl a and the links will appear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Carol! Sooooo much easier than my old way of just clicking and hoping for the best!

    Aurora

    ReplyDelete