Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The world keeps spinning...

Whether we notice or not!

Many years ago I developed an interest in chopines (an ancient Italian form of platform shoe) and did all the research I could think of on-line, bought one of the few books with a section on the subject, bought some supplies for a trial pair I was going to make "someday" and the whole concept has pretty much been encased in resin in my mind for years!

And then came today.

Today I was looking about for examples of extant hairpins and ended up being lead to this:
http://aands.org/raisedheels/

Which may just be the holy grail of websites on "Chopine, Zoccolo, and Other Raised Heel and High Heel Construction."

I'm planning on attempting a pair of chopines for my IRCC outfit. Let me tell you, they are going to be a lot better now!

2 comments:

  1. Did you see these hairpins? http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1975.1.1525-7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, and they are pretty, pretty, Pretty!

    They are also the first support I have seen for a double-prong hair pin in period. Very nice for me, since I know from experience they work much better for me.

    I'm planning to make some filligree hair pins but I have to admit these pins have got me thinking about a second set with glass beads...

    (It always amazes me how much *detailing* there is on period artifacts. Such tiny pins...)

    ReplyDelete