Thursday, November 3, 2011

Feverish! The IHC deadline is over...results?...

I've been nearly exploding with desire to see what everyone has wrought for the Idle Hands Challenge. In fact, the pressure has gotten so bad that I decided I have to at least post about what *I* did or I may well POP! So...

Fan #1 - Feather



FRONT


BACK



I already blogged about most of the process I used to create this fan so I'll just say that I'm proud of the techinical parts of this fan.

The wooden base I assembled is very stable and provides a lot of strength/support to the feathers. Drilling holes thru the base and sewing the feathers into place worked well as a temporary hold while I glued everything into position and waited for the glue to dry. It also let me make corrections before I glued it all up. (NOTE TO SELF: Ostrich feathers go on--front and back--FIRST!) Finally, I used two layers of ostrich feathers, one on both the front and back of the fan base, and found they completely obscured the wooden base which made it easy to decoratively finish the fan without worrying about hiding the inner workings.

I made my fan to approximate the narrower shape which is often seen in paintings but rarely found 'in life.' It moves air well, and seems to me to be much easier to carry and use than a rounder fan. I'll be interested to see how I feel about it after an event.

In my next fan I'm going to work harder at getting a proper curl on all of the feathers. I did curl them all but they seem to lose body and curl to the side. I'd like to try splitting two feathers--keeping the barbs on one half of each--and attaching them together to make each plume. I think that may get a better result when replicating the distinct, full plumes of the feathers in many period portraits.

Fan #2 - Lacis Flag Fan


FULL



DETAIL


I made that. :) !!!!

It was very interesting to me to note how the fan gradually became more useful as the net was embroidered. Net on it's own was absolutely useless as a fan but as the lacis pattern was filled in it became more and more effective. The bottom line is, it works great!

I've already started the netting for a second fan. This time I'll carve the chanels for the wire entirely seperately from any decorative carving on the stick. I also hope to do more carving on this one...and maybe even some painting and/or gilding...

Yeah, I thnk I have a thing for fans.

2 comments:

  1. Well I am suitably impressed. Especially with the lacis one. Its so unique and beautiful. Now I want one! There's that gorgeous gryphon with the dragonfly in Vinciolo that may be calling my name.

    I didn't finish my project. 25 hours in and several teeth on the comb I was carving broke. I learned a lot though and know what to try next time. I'm determined the silly thing will not defeat me for too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you!

    The lace one is my favorite too. I want to try one with the winged lion of St. Mark but I've yet to find a pattern in a suitable size for the gauge I am using. My current fan is a geometric pattern on a piece of netting 29 by 55 squares wide.

    I note that the Vinciolo griffin is considerably bigger--especially with the dragonfly--so I assume you will be using a finer gauge and I can hardly wait to see it!

    I really sorry you lost your comb. Your work is always so lovely, I'm sure the finished piece would have been wonderful. (And I, for one, would still be interested in seeing pictures of the remains. I may never make a comb myself but I'd love to know how you are going about making one.)

    Here's hoping we get to see more Idle Hands entries soon!

    ReplyDelete