Sunday, December 4, 2011

Oooo...look what I found!

It appears to me that some of the extant sweet bags/chatelaines may have a band or bead to adjust the cords they hang by. I've had them on pouches or bags in the past and found that they keep the strings under control and add an extra level of security in keeping things closed so I took the dangerous step of going to the local bead store to look for a suitable bead. (Cue danger music track.)

I should, perhaps, mention that said store is only a block away from my new place of work and knowing the temptations such places offer I have, up to now, been very good and kept far far away...

But that's all over now!

(Cue joyful crescendo of bliss.)

Let's just say that it's a nice shop, but the important bit for now is that I not only found a yellow jade bead that works nicely for controlling my strings, I also found Mother of Pearl oblong beads which I think may become the most beautiful thread winders.



It sounds like I should be able to grind a curve in the long edges (maybe with sandpaper?) and then polish them back to shiny goodness. I guess we'll see, but they sure are pretty!

1 comment:

  1. Love the yellow jade and I can't wait to see the threadwinders. My favorite ones are yellow dyed shell flowers and blue shell butterflies for their smoothness. I bought them as buttons, but they've just got one tiny hole like a pendant and are the perfect size-- wish I'd bought more.) I bet the mother of pearl will be wonderful and add to the ethereal white theme you've got going with your chatelaine.

    ReplyDelete