Thursday, January 26, 2012

Clearly, I don't spend enough time doing research.

I just discovered that many of the Venetian museums have pooled their artifact collections together into a single, searchable, database at: http://www.archiviodellacomunicazione.it/Sicap/opac.aspx?WEB=MuseiVE&LNG=ENG

I searched for "tessuto" and found this!


"Arte spagnola
Tessuto Velluto chermisi tagliato ad un corpo con applicazioni in raso di seta prodotto dall' orditura di fondo in seta gialla e da una trama di fondo verde Tessuti
XVI 1500 1599 inizio
Ca' Mocenigo Centro Studi di Storia del Tessuto e del Costume "

It's very like the applique work I am doing on my pavillion and it's giving me some great pointers for how I can use the couched thread for detailing overall.

I'm such a happy camper!

4 comments:

  1. I'm now having far too much fun searching ricami and velutto. Thanks for making my afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your having fun!

    And what, pray tell, are these ricami and velutto you speak of?

    The Venetian lace museum (Merlotto Museo) is also supposed to be part of the database collection but I couldn't find anything today. I'm off to look up words for lace and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found oodles of extant velvets, and ricami turned up 25 or so pieces of embroidery with several being SCA period. My favorite piece searching embroidery was a really interesting textile with peacocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool!

    I loved the velvety too but I missed the peacock embroidery. Oh darn, I guess I'll have to go look some more!

    :)

    ReplyDelete