Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Macrame Sample: What do you think?

I noticed while I was working on my test sample that the pattern for the points in the extant piece is clearly a few threads larger than the blocks-and-knots section, and the original blocks are proportionally larger (wider) than mine. Maybe 12 or 16 threads wide instead of the 8 threads I use.

Still the sample is finished and I'm pretty happy with the result.






















I'll probably try crossing the threads at the top and bottom of the knot sections to help the illusion that they are loops of cord and I might make the crossover in the center of the point shorter by 1 square knot. I'm generally not interested in making exact copies of anything so I think I am content with my symetrical pattern. It will certainly be easier for me to work!

It looks like I will need to fringe about 18" of my fabric to get enough free thread to work the macramé and tassle. I'll end up cutting off about 5" of thread in the end but I think I'll need that much (plus the 4" from the tassle) to be able to manipulate the threads.

Providing that I can lay my hands on a 4 yard piece of sheer-ish linen fabric I think I've found my Over and Above Mini-Challenge project.

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. Evokes the original but isn't an exact copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I think it's really interesting that it is so different from the original. I counted threads and used the same stiches as much as I was able but...

    I like my version but I miss the really clear knotwork in the top band on the original piece.

    I guess my next step would be to see if I can find a better picture of the original work online. Thne maybe I'll work up a second sample and see if I can improve on the first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the finished item. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    I love the Realm of Venus challenges (of all sizes). They give me a perfect focus for making such wonderful stuff!

    Here's hoping I actually make it all the way to finished in time.

    ReplyDelete