Wednesday, April 4, 2012

IRCC II - O.K. I'm in!

I've been pondering whether or not I was going to join in the IRCC this year.

I've realized that I don't really enjoy the competition aspect of such events and that what I'd really like to join in on is a group of people working on longer-term personal challenges to make one incredibly hand-work-intensive article. Like maybe a 4 month challenge to produce our dream camicias, or something...

Still, I find that the IRCC is a great catalyst for me to try new things, meet new people, and get some sewing done. I really like it all up until the judging!

So, pondering aside, I'm in. Now I just have to decide what I'm going to work on. I already have the fabric for several gowns in my stash but I'm torn between making up one (or possibly more) of those long delayed Venetian-style dress projects or taking on a portrait gown. I've never tried to make the best copy I could of a specific dress and it sounds...kinda fun!

Of course, the fact that the dresses I most want to copy are all crazy elaborate (for one reason or another) is rather a drawback

Hmm......

Right now I'm leaning towards concentrating on trying out new techniques. I'm happy with the support offered by a bodice with a hemp corded supportive lining but I've been wondering what the results would be of combining that technique with the support and smoothness offered by the technique of padding the bodice with layers of wool felt. Would it be more supportive? Perhaps it would eliminate the tendency of my outer fabric to develop small wrinkles?

I'm also interested in trying out the documented techniques of a period style padded, clipped and tucked hem, and maybe even padded pleats at the waist. I took on the challenge of sewing an outfit entirely by hand years ago but I'm not particularly wedded to it at this point....hmm...what to do....?

3 comments:

  1. I hate the judging myself but this year I am using it only for a deadline. I love that every piece I made last year has gotten a lot of use and could be used with many of my other outfits. I will say some of my best work came out of the IRCC last year and I hope to better my work this year. I will love seeing what everyone else is doing but really I am just trying new skills and pushing myself to do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the community aspect that developed last year with getting to look at people's blogs and watch the action. Honestly, my favorite parts were the unofficial bits. I'm in because of that and the deadline. I am so unmotivated without one. To be honest, having won last year, winning didn't really mean anything. Having the dress means something though. I'm challenging myself to try to learn as much as I did last year. Last year everything was my first attempt. I'm trying to do very different things this year for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It's good to hear that other folks share my mixed feelings about competitions.

    I confess that when I signed up for last years challenge I thought it was more of an A&S 50 personal challenge kind of thing and the appearance of rules about points and judging came as a rather unpleasant surprise!

    Not that a sponsor shouldn't run the kind of event that appeals to them, but I wonder if competition is really the point? Does it really bring out the best in people? It seems to me that the reverse is often true. People feel they don't measure up and drop out and both competitors and sponsors end up tired and angry, often in a community which feels compelled to 'take sides.'

    Which is not to say that I think this challenge has or will descend to that level! It's just that I wonder if the competitive model really serves us, as a creative historical costuming community, all that well. I know I'd rather wind up to a big love fest where we loll about admiring each others work. :)

    (And there should probably be pastry!)

    But, clearly, all my pondering about competition in general hasn't keep me from signing up for this year.

    :) I can't wait to see what everybody does!

    ReplyDelete