Friday, April 13, 2012

Oh my. I want these.

I guess I've always been a great believer in the idea that the underclothing makes the girl.

While poking about on the Internet for information about making cloth stockings I came upon what may be the most wonderful pair of stockings ever worn.

How I want a pair like these!

(From the website of The German Hosiery Museum. There's a German hosiery museum...who knew?)


Hmm what do you suppose is the relationship between "strumpet" and "strompf" (with double dots over the o) which appears to be German for stockings or hose? Interesting....

5 comments:

  1. I love those and have had them bookmarked for awhile. I think this green pair at the V&S give them a run for their money though http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/pair-of-stockings-121233

    One of the most interesting things to me is that they were made on a knitting frame. I want to try to knit some stockings this time around and doing them on a sock loom might happen if my tension on super small needles doesn't improve really soon :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they *are* very nice!

    I'd be perfectly happy to own a pair of each. Very happy indeed. :)

    I've been thinking about a knitting machine too. (surprise, surprise) A you sure you don't want to move it Indiana? We could have such great project workdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to move somewhere other than Utah, but there's the whole issue about my husband and his job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yeah, husbands and jobs are always the issue. We can't all be like that lady that kept her castle because she could find another husband!

    ReplyDelete